Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Remixing Shakespeare

It's not a secret that I love Shakespeare. He's on every list of my writerly influences. His words are written on my skin. So I was delighted when Lynne M. Thomas, the editor of Apex Magazine, asked me if I'd like to contribute a piece to the Shakespeare special issue

I thought for a bit about what play to use as a starting point - maybe The Tempest, which is my favorite. Perhaps The Winter's Tale, which has all sorts of lovely dark corners to play in. But as I was flipping through pages of plays, I came across a bookmark in Romeo and Juliet, saving the place of one of my favorite speeches, Juliet's lines that open scene ii of Act III. When I got to this part:

Give me my Romeo; and when I shall die
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night

I knew exactly what I was writing. My story is called "The Face of Heaven So Fine." I had a great time writing it, and I'm thrilled that it's part of this issue. I hope you like it.




4 comments: