Monday, June 3, 2013

"There was blood on the stage."

The summer issue of Subterranean is out, and I am very pleased that my story, "Stage Blood," is in it. It's my story about what might happen if Bluebeard were a magician, and bits and pieces of it have been floating around in my head since a particularly magical dinner at the 2011 World Fantasy Convention.

It was somewhat tricky to write - this is the first time I have ever finished a draft, got feedback, then closed the file and started again from a blank page. It was also my fastest sale ever - about 20 minutes from hitting send to getting a contract. Stories are weird.

For those of you interested in this sort of thing, I listened to Amanda Palmer's "The Killing Type" somewhat obsessively on repeat while writing this. I would also recommend her song,  "The Assistant," as an eerily apt soundtrack.

Thanks for reading. I hope you like it.