Friday, November 1, 2013

Sam I Am, 30 May 1998 - 1 November 2013

My darling pug, Sam I Am, died today.

I'd known him since the day he was born - his parents were my Mom's and sister's pugs. I had thought I was going to keep his sister, but one day I was sitting in the kitchen, and he walked up to me and laid his head on my foot, and that was that.

He'd been my friend my entire adult life. He came with me from Texas to Minnesota for law school, and then grad school. He moved with me to New York, and then back to Minnesota. He really liked riding in the car, thank goodness. He was there through relationships, and there when they ended.

He had a terrific grin, and was a total flirt. His favorite thing in the world was meeting people. He loved to listen to audiobooks, and had favorites - Seamus Heaney's Beowulf, and Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book. (This meant Sam got starstruck the first time he met Neil, and sat on Neil's feet, so his new friend couldn't leave.) He also loved to listen to "Dude Looks Like  Lady" with my brother Joe. He was clearly a pug of varied and eclectic tastes.

He was a sweet, sweet boy, who had been patient and brave through a lot of difficult recent health issues. If I could have given him forever, healthy and safe, I would have. My friend Maria said she was raising a glass to the dogstar tonight in his memory, and that is how I will think of Sam I Am. Shining.

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. I've enjoyed the many pictures and stories of Sam and I'm glad to have heard these few more. He will be remembered and missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear. I'm so sorry, Kat. Rest in peace, Sam. I am sorry I never got to meet you, but very glad you shared your life with Kat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Kat, I am so sorry for your loss. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences on the loss of your canine friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really sorry to hear this news. They can get so deep in us, so hard when they have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry too.
    May the dogstar shine bright until the end of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found this while trying to get a little bit caught up. So sorry to hear this news -- I will spend some time thinking fond memories of Sam and remembering the weekend he and I spent together. I'm glad he was with you for so long, through so much.

    ReplyDelete