Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Critique and Mentoring Services

I currently have openings for critique and mentoring clients. What does that mean, you ask? I'm so glad you did - I will tell you.

Critique services are where you send me a finished piece of work, from short story to novel length, and I read it with a critical eye. I make notes about what works and what doesn't, and I make these notes in a rigorous fashion - not "You suck! You can't write! Those words aren't even a sentence, omg!!1!" - but I am not going to lie and tell you that your writing is awesome if it is not. I will pay your writing the respect of taking it seriously. Note: this does not include line edits or copy edits.

Mentoring services are for people who want to work on a specific thing, or a specific project, with close assistance. I know this sounds vague, but really, I work with the requesting writer to come up with something that will be useful. This can be a short term or long term relationship, and again, I will work with you on anything from short fiction to novels.

To head off some potential questions:

Yes, I charge for these services. Rates vary based on project length and turn-around time.

No, you don't need to be an experienced writer - I am happy to work with any writer at any level of expertise.

I tend to publish in the SFF genres, but I am open to working with writers in other areas.

Here is a link to one of my current clients, Martin Cahill, who has some very kind words about working together.

If you think you might be interested, or would like further information, including about rates, please email me at KatWithSword@gmail.com

6 comments:

  1. I just want to throw my words in with Martin's--Kat was my advisor for my senior honors project and I could NOT have done it without her! I wrote 13 short stories, not counting the ones that got tossed out, with hundreds of pages of drafts, and she spent so much time with me on each one. Her comments and questions about my writing were the driving force as I moved from story to story and found the threads to tie them all together. The project would have failed with any other advisor, and I'm so happy and grateful she took me on. If you're wondering about Kat as a mentor, know that she is absolutely phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kat - Just wondering if you still have openings for critique and mentoring clients? Got here from a link I saw today on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do - I'm happy to answer any questions via the linked email above.

      Delete
  3. I'd like to know your rates on mentoring. Im trying to rewrite my ScFi novel and having problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mentoring rates depend on the length of the project and how much assistance you are looking for. If you contact me at the email linked above, I will be happy to discuss your project with you.

      Delete