Tuesday, January 7, 2014

My 2013 publications, and others I loved

For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing (either for awards nominations, or simply out of curiosity), here is a list of what I've published in 2013.


"Painted Birds and Shivered Bones" Subterranean, Spring 2013. I am particularly proud of this story - it is probably my favorite thing that I have written.

Short Story

"The Face of Heaven So Fine" Apex 45

"Stage Blood" Subterranean, Summer 2013

"A Tornado of Dorothys" in Oz Reimagined, edited by John Joseph Adams and Douglas Cohen

"With Her Hundred Miles to Hell" in Glitter and Mayhem, edited byJohn Klima, Lynne M. Thomas, and Michael Damian Thomas

"Haruspicy and Other Amatory Divinations" Apex 55

Things I loved from other people:

I am appallingly behind on my short fiction reading this year. But a few things that I particularly loved were:

"The Manticore, the Mermaid, and Me" by Megan Kurashige in Unnatural Creatures, edited by Neil Gaiman and Maria Dahvana Headley

"Ilse, Who Saw Clearly" by E. Lily Yu in Apex 48

"The Traditional" by Maria Dahvana Headley in Lightspeed May 2013

"This is a Ghost Story" by Keffy R.M. Kehrli in Apex 54


  1. I'm about a third way through "Painted Birds and Shivered Bones" and enjoying the story immensely. Thank you for sharing your 2013 works and recommended readings.

    Looking forward to your 2014 works in progress.