Sunday, January 11, 2015

Some of my favorite 2014 reads

Yesterday, I put up a list of all of the things I had published in 2014. Today is when I tell you about the things that other people wrote that I read and loved in 2014. This is an incomplete list, partially because the vast majority of my books are packed in boxes in another state, and so I can't look at my shelves as a reminder, and also because I am behind on my short fiction reading. (This means I am even more grateful than usual for the recommendation/ here's what I wrote posts that other people are putting up.)

Novels

I wrote a post for SF Signal on some of my favorite 2014 genre novels, and you can find that here. I wish that I had remembered to include Maggie Stiefvater's wonderful Blue Lily, Lily Blue on that list - it's the third of her Raven Cycle books, and they are all wonderful.

In terms of non-genre books, my favorites were essay collections - Roxane Gay's Bad Feminist, Eula Biss' On Immunity, and Leslie Jamison's The Empathy Exams. It was a good year to read smart women thinking about things.

Short Fiction

Novella

I loved John Scalzi's novel Lock In, but I loved the prequel novella, Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome even more.

"Grand Jeté (The Great Leap)" - Rachel Swirsky (Subterranean Online)

Novelette

"Ten Rules for Being an Intergalactic Smuggler (the Successful Kind)" - Holly Black (the link goes to the reprint in Lightspeed, but it is originally from the Monstrous Affections anthology.)

Short stories

"How to Get Back to the Forest" - Sofia Samatar (Lightspeed)

"A Dweller in Amenty" - Genevieve Valentine (Nightmare)

"If You Were a Tiger, I'd Have to Wear White" - Maria Dahvana Headley (Uncanny)

"The Quality of Descent" - Megan Kurashige (Lightspeed)

"When It Ends, He Catches Her" - Eugie Foster (Daily SF)

"The Fisher Queen" - Alyssa Wong (F&SF)

1 comment:

  1. I've enjoyed Maggie Stiefvater's Raven Cycle books, too. It's one of those series where I immediately want to read the next installment.

    ReplyDelete