Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Some books I loved this year, 2015 edition

Okay. So, this isn't meant to be a best of list, or anything numbered or specific or anything like that. Probably I will forget some! Almost certainly, in fact! But I am at the point of my own NewBook where if I ask my brain to work that hard on anything else, it will poof like smoke in my head, and leak out of my ears.

But! I read a lot of books this year. And I loved many of them! And it is a time of year when gifts are given, and maybe you want to give someone you love a book. Or give yourself a book, because you love yourself. So here we go:

Some excellent debut novels: Updraft by Fran Wilde. Last Song Before Night by Ilana C. Myer. Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho. The Daughters by Adrienne Celt. All of these books are lovely, and so well-written that I have debut-author envy. Some will make you laugh. Some will break your heart. All will make you glad you read them.

Some great nonfiction: H Is for Hawk by Helen Macdonald. Hammer Head by Nina MacLaughlin. The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson. All smart books. All books that opened up new spaces in my brain. The first two in particular I have pretty much raved about to anyone I can convince to listen.

Some books that were just damn good reads: Persona by Genevieve Valentine. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell. A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab. The Scorpion Rules by Erin Bow.Silver on the Road by Laura Anne Gilman. Saint Mazie by Jami Attenberg. Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn. I mean, who doesn't like a damn good read?

Some amazing books written by good friends: Magonia by Maria Dahvana Headley. Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente. About a Girl by Sarah McCarry. Sometimes you get to read something in draft, and you think, yes. Yes, this is good. And then you read the finished version, and you think, Hot Damn, you beautiful genius, you did it! And yes, yes they did.