Monday, February 15, 2016

Openings for editing clients

Are you a writer who is looking for professional feedback on your manuscript? Do you have a novel that you need help revising before you query agents, self-publish, or submit it to a publisher's open call? Maybe you're still in the drafting stage, and you know things need work, but you're not sure where, or you're worried that there's nothing there and you're wasting your time. Maybe you have some short fiction that you'd like help polishing. Whatever it is, any length, any genre, I have openings for clients.

Here's who I am: I have approximately 40 professional short fiction sales. My work has been performed on NPR, included in year’s best and best of anthologies, and has been nominated for the World Fantasy Award and the WSFA Small Press Award. My novella with Maria Dahvana Headley, The End of the Sentence, was chosen as one of NPR’s Best Books of 2014. I am a graduate of Clarion at UCSD, and am represented by Brianne Johnson at Writers House. My debut novel, Roses and Rot, will be out from Saga Press in May of this year. Additionally, I have a Ph.D. in English Literature, and have taught at the undergraduate and graduate levels at the University of Minnesota, and Stonybrook University. I have also taught an Intro to Writing SFF course with LitReactor, and I've been working with writers on a one on one basis for about three years now.

In other words, I have experience, both as a writer, and in helping other people make their writing better.

Here's what I do: I edit for content - so, this is not copy-editing, or line-editing, or the kind of thing where you have someone read over your manuscript for typos. In fact, unless I can't understand it, I'm going to leave your sentence-level prose alone. What I will do is offer you feedback on character, plot, theme, overall story - the big pieces of your project. I'll also be sure to include feedback on any specific questions that you have. 


What you need: A completed* manuscript. This can be anywhere from your just-finished draft to something that you think is polished enough to start querying with - I offer different levels of feedback based on what you think you need to revise or rewrite. While I primarily write SFF, I'm happy to work with writers in any genre. I've worked with people who have self-published, and with people who have successfully pursued traditional publishing. You do not need any previous publications or credentials - I am happy to work with writers at any career stage, whether this is the first book you've finished or the 10th. I really mean this - there are always people who worry that they need writing credits, or to send me a writing sample, or to edit their manuscript again before I see it, and that's just not the case. I'm not here to judge your writing, I'm here to help you find ways to make it stronger. 

*What I mean by "completed" - look, if you have a missing scene here or there, or a couple of parts that are just sketched out, that's fine. But if all you have is your first three chapters and then your final two, I'm probably not your best option.

If you think you're interested: Contact me at KatWithSword@gmail.com. We'll talk about exactly what you're looking for, my rates, and the turnaround time for your manuscript. Please note that these last two are based on manuscript length, so if you know your approximate word count, that will help me give you a quote. I'm happy to answer any questions.